Windows Server 2003 is a server operating system produced by Microsoft. It is advance version of Windows 2000 Server.An updated version, Windows Server 2003 R2 was released to manufacturing on 6 December 2005. Now, Windows Server 2008 was released on February 4, 2008.
Windows Server 2003 is the follow-up to Windows 2000 Server,compatibile with Windows XP.Its default installation has none of the server components enabled, to reduce the attack surface of new machines. Windows Server 2003 includes compatibility modes to allow older applications to run with greater stability. It was made more compatible with Windows NT 4.0 domain-based networking.
Service Pack 1
In 2005, Microsoft released Service Pack 1 for Windows Server 2003. Some of the update in SP1 same as SP2 for Windows XP. Features that are added with Service Pack 1 include:
* Security Configuration Wizard: A tool that allows administrators to more easily research,
and make changes to, security policies.
* Hot Patching: This feature is set to extend Windows Server 2003’s ability to take DLL,Driver, and non-kernel patches without a reboot.
* IIS 6.0 Metabase Auditing: Allowing the tracking of metabase edits.
* Windows Firewall: Brings many of the improvements from Windows XPService Pack 2 to Windows Server 2003.
* Wireless Provisioning Services,better IPv6 support, and new protections against SYN flood TCP attacks are supported.
* Post-Setup Security Updates: A default mode that is turned on when aService Pack1 server is first booted up after installation.
* Data Execution Prevention (DEP): Support for the No Execute (NX) bit which helps to prevent buffer overflow exploits that are often the attack vector of Windows Server exploits.
* Windows Media Player version 10
* Internet Explorer 6 SV1.
Windows Server 2003 R2
It is an update version of Windows Server 2003. It is in two CDs, with one CD being the Windows Server 2003 SP1 CD. The other CD adds many optionally installable features for Windows Server 2003. The R2 update was released for all x86 and x64 versions, but not for Itanium versions.
1.Branch Office Server Management
o Centralized management tools for file and printers
o Enhanced Distributed File System (DFS) namespace management interface
o More efficient WAN data replication with Remote Differential Compression.
2.Identity and Access Management
o Extranet Single Sign-On and identity federation
o Centralized administration of extranet application access
o Automated disabling of extranet access based on Active Directory account information
o User access logging
o Cross-platform web Single Sign-On and password synchronization using Network
Information Service (NIS)
o File Server Resource Manager (storage utilization reporting)
o Enhanced quota management
o File screening limits files types allowed
o Storage Manager for Storage Area Networks (SAN) (storage array configuration)
o A new licensing policy allows up to 4 virtual instances on Enterprise Edition
and Unlimited on Datacenter Edition
5.Utilities and SDK for UNIX-Based Applications add-on, giving a relatively full Unix
o Base Utilities
o SVR-5 Utilities
o Base SDK
o GNU SDK
o GNU Utilities
o Perl 5
o Visual Studio Debugger Add-in
Service Pack 2
Microsoft has described Service Pack 2 for Windows Server 2003 as a “standard” service pack release containing previously-released security updates, hotfixes, and reliability and performance improvements. In addition, Service Pack 2 contains Microsoft Management Console 3.0, Windows Deployment Services , support for WPA2, and improvements to IPSec and MSConfig. Service Pack 2 also adds Windows Server 2003 Scalable Networking Pack (SNP).